Nowadays, people tend to stay away from undergoing Lasik eye surgery. I once met someone who said he was scared of undergoing the procedures. Then, I press further to ask him some questions about his conclusion. He replied by saying he can’t just experience the process due to a reason that is best known to him. Not only from the man I met, honestly, there are people out there that are also scared of undergoing this Lasik eye surgery. The question is, why?
I traveled in thought and came out with something I need to share with you. Honestly, I can assure you that some sayings are authentic about Lasik. And if you want to close your mind based on what you’ve read about Lasik, one might fall to an extreme. Once you see the symptoms of myopia, hyperopia, and other eye problems that lasik eye surgery is the best way to solve, you need to act fast on them.
Therefore, I implore you to pay attention and stay focused. I am going somewhere. How about taking you through some knowledge about Lasik eye surgery? It would be nice to talk about this procedure before we proceed.
What is Lasik eye surgery?
Lasik surgery uses a laser to resolve, reshape, and correct the eye’s cornea whenever there’s a vision problem. So, what happens doing Lasik surgery? There’s a thin cornea flap in the upper layers of the cornea. The flap is lifted. The work of a laser is to reshape the corneal tissue underneath. The essence of doing this is to ensure that light focuses better on the retina. So, when the process is carried out carefully, the corneal flap is restored to its original state. This remarkable process remains one of the most used strategies for correcting vision problems. However, one must not forget that this process requires specialized knowledge in its operation. This implies that a competent Lasik eye Surgeon must be the one to handle your eye if you want to tell a nice story about how this process restores your vision. Checkout more about laser in-situ keratomileusis on https://www.webmd.com/eye-health/lasik-laser-eye-surgery
Why do people avoid Lasik eye surgery?
- Cost: The price of Lasik eye surgery is one of the reasons why some people close their minds to it. In Sydney, there’s no uniform price for this service. Some eye clinics might request $2600, while some only charge $2000. To be candid, not everyone can afford to pay for Lasik eye surgery. That is why people prefer other means of solving their eyes problems. Oh! Are you wondering if there are other means to solve eye problems like myopia, hyperopia, and other eye problems? Of course, yes. Other ways include; using medicine (although it may take time), eye drops, etc. So, the cost of Lasik eye surgery is a significant factor. Could you believe that a woman said to me that she prefers to spend one year treating her eye problems with other means rather than going for Lasik eye surgery? At first, I wanted to talk to her. But I stayed back. When she said she couldn’t afford it, my hands went down. Therefore, everyone knows that Lasik eye surgery is expensive. And with that, there’s a limitation.
- The fear of pain: Some try to avoid Lasik surgery because they read something about the procedure that got them scared. What do I mean? Some people cannot cope with the idea that one will stay awake even when given a sedative. The fear of pain is what is refraining some people. Honestly, this might sound funny to you. Let me use this analogy. Do you know some people prefer taking drugs to injections? Of course, there are people like that. The fear of injection refrains them from taking it. Some people are even scared of hearing the word “surgery.” Hence, the fear of undergoing pain is why people separate themselves from Lasik eye surgery. Learn more about what are the risks of undergoing Lasik surgery?
- The risk of Lasik eye surgery: Complications may arise after Lasik eye surgery. Knowing that complications or serious issues can occur after this surgery kept some people from staying away from LASIK. Some of the risks are;
- Infections: Infections may occur after this surgery. However, one can be infected if the process is not done perfectly. I have seen people getting infections after this process. They had to start another journey of living a good life. So, this is one of the risks of undergoing Lasik eye surgery.
- Dry eyes: Lasik eye surgery can cause a decrease in tear production. Dry eyes can occur six months after the surgery. With dry eyes, one’s quality of vision can reduce. So, that is why eye doctors recommend eye drops after Lasik eye surgery. The essence of recommending eye drops is to heal or cure dry eyes if they occur after the surgery.
- Trouble seeing at night: One of the risks of undergoing this surgery is that one may find it so hard to see at night. This can occur for several weeks after the surgery. So, with that, one may find it so hard to do activities like driving and reading at night. Remember, I said this could only last for some weeks after the surgery, but it is still part of the risk of doing this surgery.
- Glare and double vision: One might notice an increase in light sensitivity, glare, and halos around bright lights.
Several things can happen when you go online. You will see vital information, and you can as well see errors. I can boldly tell you that this results from going on search engines to learn. Please don’t misquote me. I am not saying one should not go online to search for knowledge. But once the doctor informs you that you’ll be going for Lasik or any other surgery, searching for its risk can create fear. Even if you search online to know the risks in doing something, you should also search for what to do to avoid those risks.